Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Guam 09-24-2012

After 24 hours departed from home, I final arrived Guam at midnight.

Guam is a US territory.  However, flying to Guam is like to flying any foreign countries, I had to go through the immigration process to have my passport and luggage checked.

After got the rental car, I was ready to drive to the hotel by using my wonderful high tech guide - GPS.  Uhmm, after a few minutes later, I found out that GPS does not work in Guam.  Thus, I have to get my direction by using the traditional method - ask the locals.

Before I got out the rental car parking lot, I asked the direction to my hotel.  The person provided a very "clear" direction without giving any road name.  The direction was: turn left when you exist the parking lot, turn left on the first street light, go straight and count the third traffic light, turn right, then ...  It is a miracle that I was able to find the hotel with this clear direction in the middle of the night.

In Guam, the street names are shown on maps, but not on streets.  There is no street name on most of the major crossroads.  Gas stations, department stores, McDonald's, etc are often used as reference points for directions.

Oh! By the way, GPS is useless in Guam also.  The best way to get the direction in Guam is using the traditional method - ask the locals.  The locals love to give directions - go straight, pass Kmart turn right, go straight about 2 minutes, you will see a gas station, turn right ...   Good luck!

Guam is like Hawaii, the majority of the tourists are Japanese.  Around the tourist areas, the majority of the store signs are Japanese.

US has military bases in Guam.Guam offers many beautiful beaches and water activities. 
Guam is a interesting place.

 



 

 







  








No comments:

Post a Comment