Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Taiwan—Kaohsiung 2016-10-12

I was waking up by luggage packing sound In the morning.  I checked my cell phone, it was 5:30 am.  I jumped up, took my towel, and headed to the big hot tub.  I enjoyed soaking in the hot bath.  

After breakfast, I headed to Da Dong Park (大東公園).  Da Dong Park is right at exist of the Da Dong subway station and also cross street from Da Dong Art Center (大東藝術中心) which looks like a raising hot air balloon.




Da Dong Park occupies 9.7 hectares with a recreational area and green zone. Same as other parks, Da Dong Park also got damaged by the typhoons last month. Residents often come to park to do their morning exercises. Dogs are also gathering together and waiting their owners to finishing their morning exercises.














After Da Dong Park, I took Kaohsiung subway orange line to Sizihwan (西子灣).  

Takao Railroad Museum (打狗鐵道故事館) is next to the exist of the Sizihwan subway station. Takao now called Kaohsiung.

The museum was built during the Japanese period and it was the first railway station in Kaohsiung with the original name of Takow Station.  The last train was pulled out from the station at 5.30 p.m on 9 November 2008.  The station building was classified as historical building by the Kaohsiung City Government.











Crossed the unused railroad tracks from the Takao Railroad Museum is the Pier - 2 Art Center (駁二藝術特區).  The arts center was originally an abandoned warehouse site which were built in 1973. In 2006, the area was finally released and remade to be an arts center. 







 


From Pier - 2 Art Center, I walked 20 minutes to the British Consulate at Takao (打狗英國領事館).  You may wonder why I chose to walk instead of taking a bus.  It is because I would experience more of Kaohsiung.











During Qing dynasty, the Treaty of Peking forced China to open up the ports of Takao (Kaohsiung 高雄), An-ping (安平), Tamsui (淡水) and Keelung (基隆) to foreign trade. The Britain was one of the first western countries to establish a consulate in Tamsui, but in 1864 the office was moved to Takao.






After 7 days in Kaohsiung, I experienced a lot of Kaohsiung.  Kaohsiung is a very nice city with warn-hearted people.  Kaohsiung has a very clean subway system which takes me to most places that I want to visit in Kaohsiung.


I had a wonderful experience in Kaohsiung.  Thank you, Kaohsiung!

No comments:

Post a Comment