Thursday, October 6, 2016

Taiwan—Tainan Kaohsiung 2016-10-06

The backpacker hotel that I stayed in Tainan is next to the National Tainan First Senior High School(國立臺南第一高級中學).  However, I did not have a chance to sneak in until this morning.

The National Tainan First Senior High School is a public senior high school established in 1922 in Tainan City, Taiwan. It is considered one of the most prestigious high schools in Taiwan.  The students who were ranked in the top 3 percentile of the Taiwan Basic Scholastic Test.

There are slogans on the wall which evolved many of my youth memories. One of them is 時代創造青年, 青年創造時代 (The time creates the young, the young creates the generation.)

The hall way and classrooms are also parts my youth memories.










After checked out the hotel, I took local  train to Kaohsiung (高雄). 

In Taiwan, the pedestrian arcade or sidewalk is not for walking. It is used for displaying store merchandise, or parking bikes or cars. The pedestrian have to walk on the street with bikes or cars passing by you.



After arrived Kaohsiung.  I checked my luggage in the hotel, then jumpped on the subway and headed to Chiji (旗津).

Cijin Island is a small island in Kaohsiung.  It is just a 10 minute ferry from Kaohsiung Harbor. Most travel books and websites indicate Chiji is the best place to eat fresh seafood in Kaohsiung. However, it is not the best place for a vegetarian like me.  








There are many attractions such as Tianhou Temple (天后宮), Cihou Lighthouse (also known as Kaohsiung Lighthouse 旗後燈塔 或 高雄燈塔), Cihou Fort (旗後炮臺), Cijin Seashore Park (旗津海岸公園), Windpower Park (旗津風車公園), and the YM Museum of Maritime Exploration (陽明高雄海洋探索館)。

I was so happy that Chiji offers so many fun places to visit.  However, I came in a wrong time.  Kaohsiung experienced three typhoons in the past month.  There are a lot of down trees and power lines.  A lot of places were blocked for tourists.  

Cihou Lighthouse was built by British engineers. The Lighthouse was a Chinese-style rectangular red-brick lighthouse at the top of Mount Ki-au, at the southern side of the harbor.  The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1916 and was renovation in 1918. The base of the lighthouse building was rebuilt in Baroque style.

I walked from the ferry terminal toward to Chiji Lighthouse.  After about 15 minutes walk, I saw the road to the lighthouse was blocked.  I asked a local wheather I can go to the lighthouse, he said, visitors can go to the Lighthouse by walking. After 10 minutes of uphill, then I found the door to the Lighthouse was closed. So, I could only took pictures in front of the gate.





On the way down, I saw birds.  Yes.  Birds!







Cihou Fort was built in 1720 when Taiwan was ruled by the Qing Empire of China.  It was rebuilt in 1874 and in 1880 had new Armstrong's guns installed.








Because of Typhoons, a lot of attractions I can only walk by like Cijin Seashore Park (旗津海岸公園) and the YM Museum of Maritime Exploration (陽明高雄海洋探索館)。


Windpower Park (旗津風車公園) is open for visitors.  Thus, many visitors would rent bikes and rode from Chiji ferry 
terminal to Windpower Park.  I did not rent a bike.  I decided to walk to the park. I did not do my homework to find out the distance between the Ferry Terminal and the Windpower Park. Before I started to walk, I asked a local how far from the Terminal to the Patk, she said it should take about 20 minutes by walking.  I thought 20 minutes, no problem!  After 30 minutes walk under 30℃ (86℉) with humidity 84%, I could not see any sign of the park.  Then, I asked another local person how far is the Windpower Park, he said, you are almost there.  I was happy and started walk again.  Another 30 minutes later, I still could not see any sign of the park.  Oh well, I decided to continue until I reach the Park.  Finally, I reached the Park and my skin is totally dark (or red). (Note: The distance between Chiji Ferry Terminal and Windpower Park is 11.6 Km (7.2 miles ). )



I did not stay too long in the Park because it started to rain.  On the way back to the Ferry Terminal, I found a bus that would take me all the way back to the Ferry Terminal.  Cool.

Boy, it was a long day.  I need to relax now.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment